Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Power Moments! Collect them all!!!

It was the end of the afternoon at work when a collegue of mine asked me a favor. She asked me to talk to a guy who had been working for us for a few weeks and already was bored with what he was doing. It isn't a conversation I have with a lot of people at work but I did not mind ending the work day with a small motivational peptalk!

I asked him what he was thinking... Well! The job he was doing, wasn't really his cup of tea. It turned out that he had done a job like it in the past which was almost identical. There was no difference but he enjoyed this job much more than he enjoyed his current job!

Soooooooo, what mysterious circumstances make this guy want to quite his job? He had only been working there for a few weeks!!!

After talking to him for about 15 minutes is all became clear... His job wasn't that bad! It was a combination of many different things that made him unhappy and ready to quit his job! Some things were not even job related!!! He had just gotten back from a great vacation, wasn't ready for normal every day life again and had been working more hours than ever. Hardly something I would recomend in his line of work!!! Last but not least, he was surrounded by negative people!

Anyway, I asked him what he expected from us and what he wanted me to do... After a few questions and putting things into a different perspective, his answer was simple:

Let me continue to work there and the future will be different! I dont really want to quit my job!


I, of course was proud as I could ever be! This kid was full of positive energy again and decided right there and then that it all wasn't so bad and that he had never looked at it in the way I had just pointed out! He didn't really dislike his job. He just had some bad vibes. I asked him if there was anything else... NOPE! :-)

I immediately recognize this guy's thinking on a larger scale. He realized that his lack of motivation the past few weeks might get him fired so... He took action and set up an appointment with us! Almost amazed at what my pep talk did to him, I realize that some serious perspective changing would be a great thing for everyone including me!!! The trouble is... It can be SOOOOO hard!!! Especially if you continue to hold on to the way it "was"...

Anyway, helping this guy re-adjust his view was amazing! These small Power Moments, as I like to call them, really can be awesome! The best thing is that these moments can be contagious and infect anyone around them. Just sharing them with my collegues, makes life a little bit better.

These past few weeks have been REALLY tough on me and it's time to look at things from a different point of view. Collecting as many Power Moments as I can (they actually do happen quite often), I realize that my life isn't bad! I just need to look at it in a new way and except the fact that the transition between old and new can be pretty damn hard!!!

Then again... Making the transition from old to new might creat one BIG POWER MOMENT called...

LIFE! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment